I know you might want to have some more details about our trip across the United States. We love to talk about it, so there might be quite a few posts about it! While we were driving and on the road, my husband had the idea for this post. We kept some tally marks on interesting things that we did or happened to us. One of my favorite facts is how many times our boys peed in a bottle in the van. 🙂
I hope you enjoy this post with tid-bits of our trip as much as I do!
Facts from our road trip:
- Travelers: 5
- Days on the road: 25
- Miles driven: 5,904
- Hours in van: 95 (**this is not including time at each destination driving to different activities, etc.)
- Galloons of gas: 289.80
- Quarts of oil: 10
- States: 13
- Hotels: 9
- Number of bags packed: 19
- Number of bags to still UNPACK: 4
- Pictures taken: 793
- Family members/friends seen: 34
- Superheroes seen: 27
- National landmarks: 3
- Oceans: 2
- Crabs caught: 37
- Starbucks stops: 13
- Times the boys’ LeapPad’ batteries needed changed: 10
- Stomach viruses: 1
- Stops without a sweet tea to be found that was not fountain or canned: 14
- Tweets breaking my social media silence: 11
- Ways to get Reagan asleep in the van: 1
- Pools swam in: 9
- Broken bumpers: 1
- Zip ties required to hold a broken bumper together: 3
- Horse rides: 5
- Immigration checks: 3 (Odd, right!? Even though we never crossed the border, driving close to Mexico had checkpoints.)
- Van vacuumed: 1
- Target runs: 6
- Drives in the rain: 4
- My longest drive stretch at one time: 3 hours
- Pees in a cup or bottle in van: 19
- Times I went for a run: 2
- Theme parks: 2
- Blog posts written: 0
- Memories and laughs together: millions
Thank you so much for reading this post!! I have some more posts coming with the “how to’s” of traveling with kids and how we made this insane trip possible. This is not our first BIG trip on the road, so we have learned a few tricks along the way. Please feel free to ask any questions about our trip or how we did something. I will respond!
I LOVE your trip! Oh my gosh, what a wonderful thing to be able to do. We did a similar trip when I was 11 starting in South Florida but after CA we went up to Michigan and then back down. Your trip brings back those memories. My favorite shot was you and the kids on the rocket. The smiles of you and your one son behind you are just so totally “in the moment”. I was smiling ear to ear just looking at it. I will be back looking for the continuing story!
Liz, Thank you SO much for your sweet message!! I love that picture too. I can’t stop looking at our trip pictures! That’s so amazing you had such a trip! We have family in Ohio, so I hope we can do another big trip more up north too! The story will continue…thank you so much for reading!!
Definitely looking forward to road trip tips – it looks SO fun! Enjoyed your post 🙂
Thank you Larissa!! I have a whole list saved in my phone…just gotta find the time to write it now! That post will happen though!!
I love this!! You guys are so lucky you were able to do this. What a beautiful, happy family.
Thank you Kendra!! I think the same of YOURS!
Baylee M says
What a great post, Erica! Such awesome memories your kids will have of that trip! Glad you’re back in the social media world again – your blog is great!
Awesome post, thank you!! We are taking our first road trip from MN to CA, with our 3 children, under the age of 6, next year and I’m so excited and can’t wait to share great memories with my family.
Thank you again!!
Amazing Jenn! I know you will build memories for a lifetime! Have so much fun! I know that drive will be beautiful! XO, Erica